Since there’s a good chance you’ll be out in the sun this summer, here are some tips to protect yourself from the sun without sunscreen! It is possible to keep you and your littles safe without using sunscreen. Whether you don’t like the ingredients in traditional sunscreen, or if you’re like me and can never remember to have it with you when you’re in the sun, these are ideas for you!
- Play and eat in the shade when you can. This can protect your kids from heat rash, overheating and dehydration on really hot days too.
- Channel your inner Victorian woman and carry an umbrella. Awnings, umbrellas and parasols could be the difference between skin cancer and healthy, undamaged skin.
- Hats! Wear them and put them on your kids! Store them in the car and everywhere else so you don’t forget. Wide-brimmed hats shade your face and neck, which are the most common areas people develop skin cancer.
- Put swim shirts on all your babes. Then you don’t have to stress about those sweet little shoulders! We’re all about cute little swim shirts.
- Wear lighter colored clothes. These reflect the suns rays rather than attract them like their dark counterparts.
- Go for the Jackie O sunglasses look. Our eyes and the sensitive skin around them appreciate the protection too.
- Be mindful of peak sunshine hours. If you don’t go out from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., you greatly reduce your risk of sunburn and damage. When possible, avoid being in direct sunlight altogether, especially when your skin is unprotected.
- UV-repellent detergent Fabric coatings are what allow clothing companies to create SPF and UV-resistant clothing. If you want to make your clothing more protective, buy UV-repellent products that act like a detergent and create a fabric coating when washed with your clothes.
- Coconut oil has a natural SPF of 4-5 and contains antioxidants that help protect the skin from harmful radiation from the sun. Voila! You can protect yourself from the sun without sunscreen! Obviously that low amount of SPF isn’t sufficient for a long day in the sun, so we add red raspberry seed oil which has an SPF of around 25. Add some zinc oxide and you’re even safer.
People in their 50s can look like they are in their 30s with the right care for their skin. It seems impossible, but making sun protection without sunscreen a number one prerogative for your skin all year round can help you to look young and beautiful forever without a magic potion.
Did you know?
- Skin Cancer is the most common form of cancer in the US (with 1.2 million new cases every year).
- On average, children get 3x more sun exposure than adults.
- Fact: One blistering sunburn can double a child’s chance of developing skin cancer later in life.
- Even children who tan easily or have dark skin can get sun damage.
- You can sunburn even on a cloudy day. Most damage actually occurs during everyday exposure rather than days at the pool.
- Insect repellent lessens sunscreen’s protection by 1/3. Use a higher SPF if you’re mixing the two.
- Concrete, sand, water, and snow reflect 85%-90% of the sun’s UV rays.
Now you’re all set to protect yourself from the sun without sunscreen! What’s the first thing you’re going to do outside this summer?